omowun-me

My photo
Secret Place of the Most High, Kingdom
Learned Student, Honest.

Friday, November 27, 2009

I rocked a fro yesterday

Dear ______,

Man we’ve been broken up for 1 year and 7 months. The first time we broke up for 6 months in 2006, and then I took you back when I was going corporate. Then I went to Nigeria and left you again for about 7 months in 2007, then 9 months in law school. Each time I just took you back because of a mixture of curiosity, fed-upness, or the opportunity just presented itself. Now it’s been 19 months!

You weren’t good for me though. So many lyes, very toxic. On the surface it probably looked good but I was disconnecting with my roots. I’ll admit sometimes I am slightly tempted to go back, but this break up is the right thing for me right now.

So Sincerely,
Xtina

I’m talking about the relaxer, the perm, the chemicals, the lyes and no-lye!

Au naturale!

I tried to be my own hair beautician yesterday and by the end of the day my head was hurting. Called myself trying to deep condition, hot oil treat, press and then braid my hair. I’m halfway done with part three. That’s because it’s taking two days (maybe three, hopefully not, cross my fingers). So much so, that I had to rock a fro to Thanksgiving dinner. I don’t think (no I know) that look is not for me. Even with the afro centric touch (i.e. a nice scarf around the perimeter to accent my shirt -- nah at least not yet). Maybe when my hair gets back to its natural natural texture.

In the meantime, I have 19 months of virgin hair (natural) and I never made the big chop. (just kept braiding and pressing). So I’m pretty much all the way Au naturale by now but, I have about 5 different textures of hair in my head. Now I remember why I have not done my hair on my own in a looong time. As soon as I take the braids out, it’s straight to the shop for some washing and pressing.

At various times yesterday I thought:
  1. This would be so much easier if I had some of Madame CJ Walkers products (the chemicals)
  2. Maybe I should put a texturizer (but that would defeat the purpose of trying to get my hair back to its natural state (the good hair!)
  3. Maybe I should cut it all off and do the corporate-bob by day and funky-up-do by nights and weekends look, but again I would need a perm for that. Negative.
  4. Maybe I should get locks – but I like to switch it up a lot so I’d get bored and feel locked in after awhile. Negative again.

Anyways I tried the Chi iron. Thank God for ceramic. Otherwise my hair would be and look a hot mess after the two-week-shop-look expiration and the-week(s)-before-I-come-back to the Chi.

After 6.5 years, I have not found anyone in Champaign to bring my hair to a satisfactory state. On the other hand, I have not been actively looking. One girl used to do my hair when I was a freshman/sophomore, but she was in law school and has since graduated. But I have been to 4 people after that and … yeah… I did get some good products/stylists advice from another au naturale sister at the Thanksgiving dinner yesterday.

I was excited to get funky with my braids this time. Now that that season is over, I can spice up my hairstyles, until the summer again. I guess we’ll see how the braids turn out might have to make a quick run to the Egyptians or Dominicans. But I am determined :-)

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...