omowun-me

My photo
Secret Place of the Most High, Kingdom
Learned Student, Honest.

Thursday, December 2, 2010

It’s a simple Sunday school answer.

So when I was younger, like pre-teen, I had some questions for my Sunday school teachers. One of my questions was 'how many hours were in one day, during the age when God created the world?' My limited comprehension was that “yeah, I believe He created this and that in one day, but how long was one day back then? Was it 24 hours?

My “aunty’s” would proffer a typical Sunday school answer and I was never really satisfied with these answers. Frankly, the Sunday School answer was too simple for me, at the time. But it was in my best interest to let the question go, for the time being, in that setting; the setting being a predominantly Nigerian church.

In a predominantly Nigerian church, the culture is in full effect! Here’s the quick formula for addressing elderly people in my culture:
  • Aunty = any woman who is about 7 or more years > greater than you.
  • Mummy = any woman who is ~ near your mom’s age. Yup they are also referred to as mummy. You can have so many mummy's, it's fantastic. They can beat discipline you too.
  • Big Mummy = any woman that’s somewhere in between your mom’s and grandma’s age
  • Mama = any woman who has grandma status.

Anyways, I recently revisited that question and I found the answer to be so simple. Christina, for the simple fact that you know He has the power to create the whole world, trust that it does not matter whether there were 24 hours in a day or 24 seconds. God was still going to do what He did.

When I begin to think about how every aspect of God is infinite, I have something like a brain overload. They say the more you know, the more you don’t know. I guess that’s why many of the characteristics of many atheists I’ve met are philosophical, book worms, or science nerds (nerd in a good way, but ultimately to their detriment).

He catches the wise in their craftiness, and the schemes of the wily are swept away. Job 5:13

As I learn more about these detailed events that took place in the Old Testament, I attempt to process the various wars, and differences in the kings that reigned. And then I think of how complex each of us are and His omnipresence in all of our lives.

Naturally, now I have more questions, and I would like to think that a satisfying answer would require much more thought and analysis than a simple Sunday School answer. This would help when I speak to atheists. I assume it would be easier to explain and contend for the faith with an understanding of every detail and anticipate their qualms.

Currently, as in at this very moment, and the past couple of hours, I've been wondering how and why. I feel like a Mary and Martha mix right now. I just want to find the answers to my questions, be it on my own research, someone else’s research via a online sermon or blog, or inquiring of my friends, but I have other things that need to get done too. I want to sit as His feet like Mary, but get to work in the kitchen, symbolically meaning my exams, like Martha, and the 11th hour is upon us ~ final examinations!

The instinctive route would be to inquire of various key people in my life; bible scholars, pastors and friends, that are likely to give me a satisfying and microwaved answer.

And although I think many of these questions will be great for fellowship discussion, I have to make sure that I don’t lose the forest for the trees. My civil procedure professor told me this, during office hours, when I was getting to analytical on the little details. The big picture of the forest is that God was and is in control of all of this!
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom. And in all your getting, get understanding. Proverbs 4:7
Still in all our understanding, who can really grasp this: His Infinite wisdom? I can’t. I can’t even focus.

It’s a simple Sunday school answer; we can’t. [full stop]


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...